In typical Alsatian fashion, this cabbage has a delicious sweet-and-sour
- 1 pound fresh chestnuts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 2-pound head red cabbage, cored, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 deg. F. Using small knife, cut an X in each chestnut.
- Place in roasting pan. Bake until shells loosen, about 35 minutes. Cool slightly. Remove hard shell and brown skin from each nut. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large pot over medium-low heat. Add onion; saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add cabbage, vinegar, water and sugar. Cover; cook until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally, about 40 minutes.
- Add nuts; cook until warm, about 10 minutes longer. Season with pepper.